Friday, October 31, 2008

Another New Property Bird for the Year

Chipping Sparrow is year property bird #137 for me. As I got back from walking in the woods, two of them were flitting around in the trees behind my feeders. Later I saw them eating millet from my ground feeder. For some reason I never recorded them in the winter of this year when I saw them. But, they're on the list now.

There was nothing really new to report from the woods. It was a brief walk. I was only out about 30 minutes. I got a couple of really good looks at a Northern Flicker. That was really nice. There were probably 30 Turkey Vultures and Black Vultures eating what was left of the carcass of a wild hog that I shot yesterday. It will be interesting to see how much they cleaned up.

I know that this blog is usually for birds, but I just had to show off this picture of a monarch butterfly I took at the Houston Zoo on Thursday. He was flitting from flower to flower pretty quickly, and I just snapped this picture as soon as I saw him in the view finder. I was impressed with how it turned out.

No comments: