Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Swallow Migration

Every year during October, swallows of all kinds migrate right over my yard, flying from northeast to southwest. I can sit for a few minutes and literally see hundreds of them fly over my yard and the pasture. It's amazing to see how many of them there are! On Sunday afternoon, I stood outside for about twenty minutes just to see them. The vast majority of the swallows flying by were Northern Rough-winged, but several Barn were in the mix as well. Last year every swallow that migrates through this area came through at some point. It was just one day when about all I saw were Bank Swallows. The Tree Swallows come through a little later than the rest. It is always fun to look out my window and see the swallows heading south for the winter.

No comments: