Friday, October 10, 2008

October 10

This morning was just too nice not to go birding! It was cool, low humidity and fall migration is in full swing! Swallows were flying overhead migrating south. Mostly Barn and Northern Rough-winged were the ones I saw. The winter migrants were more plentiful in the woods. I added a couple new fall migrants to my list. Within about two minutes of each other, I saw a Northern Parula and a Magnolia Warbler. Both of them were in fall plumage. Indigo Buntings are still in good numbers. I had one female/juvenile Painted Bunting hop around in the branches of a fallen tree. The hummingbirds are virtually gone. There are one or two at a time now. I saw Brown-headed Cowbirds at my feeders for the first time since spring.

Birds Seen Oct. 10 (28 species): Red-shouldered Hawk, Eurasian Collared Dove, White-winged Dove, Chimney Swift, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Eastern Phoebe, White-eyed Vireo, Blue Jay, American Crow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Barn Swallow, Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warbler, Indigo Bunting, Painted Bunting, Common Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird, House Sparrow

No comments: