Monday, April 28, 2008

Warblers! Warblers Everywhere!

I knew this morning was going to be good. The front passed yesterday with a pretty good line of rain. The north winds were blowing 10 - 15 mph. The blew all night, so I knew the migrants that came in yesterday afternoon would have spent the night here and would be feeding waiting for more favorable south winds to continue their journey north. I wasn't disappointed.

In about 2 hours of birding, I saw 16 species of warblers! Black-and-white, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Blue-winged, Cerulean, Chestnut-sided, Golden-winged, Hooded, Kentucky, Magnolia, Orange-crowned, Tennessee, American Redstart, Northern Parula, Common Yellowthroat and Ovenbird. The one that surprised me the most was the Golden-winged. I saw six individuals, which is more than I've seen probably in my whole life! At one point, I had a Black-throated Green, Magnolia and Chestnut-sided in a single binocular view! I don't know that I'd call this a fallout, but it was definitely busy! I wish I could go out this evening when the new wave of migrants comes in. Maybe I can get out for an hour in the morning if there is still a north wind.

Another thing that kind of surprised me today was the number of White Ibis I saw flying over. I saw flock after flock of 20+ birds fly over. Everytime I got a clear view of the sky, a flock would fly over. I don't think I've ever seen that many.

A note from 4/26: I saw a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the mulberry tree on the east side of the house. I haven't seen them at my feeders yet, but it was nice to see him there. Also a Tri-colored Heron flew over. He was the first one I've seen from the property all year.

Birds Seen 4/28 (47 species): Red-winged Blackbird, Eastern Bluebird, Indigo Bunting, Painted Bunting, Northern Cardinal, Gray Catbird, Carolina Chickadee, Eurasian Collared Dove, Mourning Dove, Cattle Egret, Red-shouldered Hawk, Little Blue Heron, White Ibis, Blue Jay, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Purple Martin, Ovenbird, Barred Owl, Northern Parula, Eastern Wood-Pewee, American Redstart, Spotted Sandpiper, Barn Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Summer Tanager, Tufted Titmouse, Red-eyed Vireo, White-eyed Vireo, Turkey Vulture, Black-and-white Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Golden-winged Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Cedar Waxwing, Downy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Carolina Wren, Common Yellowthroat

No comments: