Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Bluebird Update


The bluebirds have laid five eggs. The last one was laid on Sunday, March 30. I am putting the projected hatching date at April 12. The female is diligently incubating the eggs. I only see her out of the box when I go over to it to check on them. I'm trying not to disturb her too much.
I haven't been able to get out birding much. I had a doctor's appointment last Friday and wasn't able to get out. Then on Saturday I was busy all day. Hopefully I'll get out on Friday if the 50% chance of rain will hold off. I know there are Hooded Warblers, Black-and-white Warblers, Summer Tanagers, Kentucky Warblers, etc. down there just waiting for me to see them. It's killing me that I can't get down there. I may go birding even if it's raining lightly.
I'm really looking forward to the third weekend of April. One of my long-time birding buddies is coming down from Abilene to go birding on my property and at High Island over the weekend. It will be fun. The last time we were at High Island together was in 2002. In 1997, we just happened to be there on the weekend of a huge fallout. It was absolutely incredible! Well, good for us, not so good for the birds. For our sake, I'm hoping for the same kind of luck, but I hope the birds have an easier time of it!
The Cattle Egrets have made a return to the property. On Sunday I was outside when a large flock of them came in. They all landed around one of the calves and kind of spooked him! He started kicking and running from them. They didn't seem bothered by his actions much.

No comments: