Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Little Spring Birding

When I got home from the office yesterday, no one was home, so I decided to walk in the woods for an hour or so. It was nice except for the extremely high humidity. The mosquitoes weren't bad at all, which was a nice surprise.

I did add a few new birds for the year. The migrants are definitely showing up. I got to the first tree that is covered in Spanish moss and a male and female Northern Parula were foraging together. A Yellow-throated Warbler was in the same tree. Indigo Buntings were calling and I finally saw a male and three females. Further south somewhere to the east of the new pond, a Red-eyed Vireo was calling from the tops of the trees. Barn Swallows and Northern Rough-winged Swallows flew overhead.

I'm not sure where I am for the year or where I am in comparison to 2004. Our computer has a corrupt file and we can't get it started. We'll get it fixed soon. I'll be able to update it then.

Birds Seen on April 2 (33 species): Cattle Egret, Black Vulture, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Spotted Sandpiper, Eurasian Collared Dove, Mourning Dove, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, White-eyed Vireo, Blue Jay, American Crow, Purple Martin, Tree Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Barn Swallow, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Bluebird, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, White-throated Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Red-winged Blackbird, House Sparrow

No comments: