Monday, April 7, 2008

Friday, April 4

Friday was fun. I was able to go birding with only minimal time constraints. The migrants were pretty sparse still. I have to keep reminding myself that it's only early April and the peak of migration is still two weeks away! For the remaining Fridays in April and the first couple weeks of May, I shouldn't have any time constraints, and I'll probably get to go out on Saturdays as well!

As far as the migrants go, Hooded Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Northern Parula, and Red-eyed Vireo were calling. I thought I heard a Great Crested Flycatcher, but never could locate him for a positive ID. I did see my first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the year in the woods. An Upland Sandpiper called as it flew over. The Yellow-rumped Warblers are molting into their spring plumage. It's amazing the transformation that takes place. The drab, brown bird that we see all winter suddenly changes into a colorful bird that is fun to look at!

Speaking of Northern Parulas, I believe I have found the location of their nest. I have known they nest on our property, but never have been able to find a nest. I went out for an hour on Wednesday and observed a female going in and out of a clump of Spanish moss. She was doing the same thing on Friday. So, I'll watch for signs of them feeding young and set up a video camera to catch the action. Hopefully I can post a video of them on the blog.

On Sunday, I saw a Swainson's Hawk flying to the north of the house and got a good look at him. He is the first one I've seen for the year. Then this morning I was sitting in the living room before everyone got up and a Barn Owl flew somewhere near the house and screeched as he passed over.

Our computer is still down at the house. Apparently everyone except one guy from the Geek Squad at Best Buy called in sick today. Hopefully we can get it to them and get it fixed. So, I'm not sure where I am in comparison to 2004. I imagine it's pretty close still.

Birds Seen on April 4 (44 species): Cattle Egret, Little Blue Heron, White Ibis, Turkey Vulture, Red-shouldered Hawk, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, Upland Sandpiper, Mourning Dove, Eurasian Collared Dove, Great Horned Owl, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Blue-headed Vireo, White-eyed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Blue Jay, American Crow, Purple Martin, Tree Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Bluebird, Hermit Thrush, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing, Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Field Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Red-winged Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird, House Sparrow

No comments: