Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Gone!

The past two days have seen a significant decline in the numbers of hummingbirds at my feeders. A decline along the lines of 20 to 30 at a time to one. I've always wondered what it is that makes all the birds leave at the same time. I filled my feeders last night in the hopes that others north of us experienced the same thing and their hummingbirds will find me soon.

I occasionally write about other wildlife seen around the property, and want to tell about what happened on Monday night. About 2 a.m., the dogs started barking like they were seeing something they didn't like. I got up to see what it was. The moon was nearly full and provided quite a bit of light along with all the artificial light around. A lone coyote was at the western edge of our yard just sniffing around. He finally ran off to the west and my dogs quieted down.

An update on the well: It is dry!!! This morning there were eight flatbed trucks waiting to go in and take the equipment away. I will be glad when they're gone. I want to dig out a pond in the area where they cleared to provide some habitat for Wood Ducks and Prothonotary Warblers. It would be perfect for that! It shouldn't cost all that much to get a bulldozer out there to dig it out.

No comments: