Saturday, September 15, 2007

A Short Walk In The Woods

I went to the woods this evening to see if I could find any fall migrants. I didn't find much. The mosquitoes were really bad in a few places. I did find a few Baltimore Orioles and a couple of Great Crested Flycatchers. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were everywhere! I kept looking at each of them hoping one would turn into a warbler, but no such luck! I did have a late Purple Martin flying around.

What used to be a nice, quiet walk in the woods is ruined now by the gas well being drilled on our property. The well itself is so loud. Then when the trucks move in and out it is even louder. Used to all I would hear is the sound of the traffic on FM 565. Hopefully they won't find anything and they'll just leave. Of course they'll leave us with three acres cleared out that we'll have to fight the tallows on until the larger trees can establish themselves.

Birds sighted (11 species): Blue Jay, Carolina Wren, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Northern Cardinal, Tufted Titmouse, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Carolina Chickadee, Baltimore Oriole, Great Crested Flycatcher, Purple Martin

No comments: