Friday, September 14, 2007

Hummers Increasing and Fall Migrants

Last evening when I got home from work, there were five to eight hummingbirds buzzing around the feeders. I was very glad to see them! I wonder if the northerly winds we got from Hurricane Humberto brought them in.

This morning, there were anywhere from ten to fifteen birds at a time around the feeders. It seems to me that it was around this time last year when they really started increasing in numbers. I took some video of them on Sept. 16 last year, so it's close.

A really neat thing happened as I was watching the hummers this morning. A male Baltimore Oriole lit on the pole where the hummingbird feeders are hanging. He stopped for just a few seconds and then flew off to the tallow tree in the front yard. He was joined by at least one more in the tree. I usually see several Baltimore Orioles in the trees around the yard in the fall. Normally I don't see that many in the spring, but this year was an exception. I saw quite a few of them in the spring.

I think I may try to get out in the woods this afternoon and see if I can find any fall warblers.

No comments: