Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Working From Home

I had some work to do on our home computer today, so I stayed home instead of going into the office. Before "work hours" began this morning, I rigged up a drip system on our birdbath since my other dripper is broken. It was actually more of a stream system instead of a drip. The birds took to it immediately! Cardinals, Blue Jays, House Sparrows, Brown-headed Cowbirds and Carolina Chickadees were among the first to visit it. During my lunch break, I was just sitting at the door watching what would show up. A male Baltimore Oriole came in and took a bath. A few minutes later, a Yellow Warbler stopped on the edge and got a drink. I had just a few seconds to look at him through my binoculars before he left. I'm excited about my new drip system. I think it will work well.

My feeders were also busy today. Cardinals and Red-winged Blackbirds were the most common around them. Blue Jays showed up occasionally and feasted on the peanuts. Eurasian Collared-Doves showed up with regularity, as did the Mourning Doves. I had a pleasant surprise when two male Indigo Buntings showed up on my ground feeder. They were around quite a bit through the afternoon.

I was a little surprised to see two flocks (possibly the same flock) of about ten Cedar Waxwings this afternoon. I didn't see the Song Sparrow today, so perhaps he's headed north to find a mate.

Three fox squirrels and one Eastern gray squirrel were at my squirrel feeders throughout the day.

Birds seen (25 species): Cattle Egret, White Ibis, Turkey Vulture, Red-shouldered Hawk, Killdeer, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Mourning Dove, Chimney Swift, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Loggerhead Shrike, Blue Jay, Purple Martin, Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Eastern Bluebird, Northern Mockingbird, European Starling, Cedar Waxwing, Yellow Warbler, Northern Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Red-winged Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird, Baltimore Oriole, House Sparrow

No comments: