Monday, May 28, 2007

On A Rainy Day

With all the rain, I've been watching my feeders quite a bit today. It was kind of a neat day at them. I had four species of doves visit - Eurasian Collared-Dove, White-winged Dove, Mourning Dove and Inca Dove. I've seen all four in one day only one other time. So that's kind of special!

I've seen more Roseate Spoonbills flying over today! I can't remember a day when I've seen this many! I must have counted ten or twelve. Lots of White Ibis have been flying over as well. A Black-crowned Night-Heron perched on top of the telephone pole in the front yard for a while.

I did get on the four-wheeler this morning and check out the pond. When I got down there, an Anhinga was perched in a tallow tree along the bank. He splashed down in the water and swam off. While I was walking out on the dam, I heard some scratching noises coming from a little cedar tree to my left. I looked up and there were three young raccoons soaking wet climbing up in it. They were less than half the size of an adult.

*This isn't a sighting from the property, but I was driving this morning on Massey Tompkins and got to the intersection at McKinney and saw a Swallow-tailed Kite flying overhead with a snake that must have been three feet long! I wish I could have followed him. He was heading east toward Cedar Bayou.

Birds Seen (31 species): Anhinga, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Little Blue Heron, Cattle Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron, White Ibis, Roseate Spoonbill, Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Red-shouldered Hawk, Killdeer, Laughing Gull, Eurasian Collared-Dove, White-winged Dove, Mourning Dove, Inca Dove, Common Nighthawk, Chimney Swift, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Blue Jay, American Crow, Purple Martin, Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Northern Mockingbird, European Starling, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird, House Sparrow

No comments: