Friday, April 27, 2007

You see one . . .

I hadn't seen a Kentucky Warbler on the property in the three years that we've lived here. Yesterday, I saw the first one. Today, I saw one and heard at least two, possibly three, singing as if they are on territory. They sure are hard to see! A Hooded Warbler also sang in a spot where I've never heard one singing. I did see one FOS bird today, a Yellow-breasted Chat. I actually saw three of them. It's fun to listen to all their vocalizations.

At one point, a juvenile Blue Jay waited until I was directly under him (I hadn't seen him at this point) to call loudly as if I were attacking him! There aren't too many times that something really scares me in the woods, but this did it!

I was a little surprised this morning to look out and see a Song Sparrow at my feeders. All the other winter birds have migrated out. I haven't seen a White-throated Sparrow or Ruby-crowned Kinglet in a week or so.

Birds seen (38 species): Little Blue Heron, Cattle Egret, Cooper's Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Mourning Dove, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Chimney Swift, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Eastern Wood-Pewee, White-eyed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Blue Jay, American Crow, Purple Martin, Barn Swallow, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Eastern Bluebird, Swainson's Thrush, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, European Starling, Tennessee Warbler, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat (FOS), Song Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle, House Sparrow

Other Wildlife Seen
Butterflies: Black Swallowtail, Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Giant Swallowtail, Painted Lady, Red Admiral, Buckeye, Great Purple Hairstreak, Little Wood-Satyr

Mammals: Eastern Fox Squirrel, Eastern Gray Squirrel

Reptiles: Eastern Three-toed Box Turtle, Green Anole, Red-eared Turtle

No comments: