Monday, November 15, 2010

Project FeederWatch Week One

Week one of Project FeederWatch (PFW) is over. I had 11 species visit my feeders over the two days. That equals the highest number of species I had visit on PFW days last year. The opening week of 2009 I only had three species. Bird activity is still low at my feeders, but the number of species is varied.

PFW Week 1 (Total Species - 11):
Eurasian Collared-Dove - 5
Mourning Dove - 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1
Blue Jay - 1
Carolina Chickadee - 2
Tufted Titmouse - 2
Carolina Wren - 1
Eastern Bluebird - 1
Pine Warbler - 1
Northern Cardinal - 2
House Sparrow - 12

I went down into the woods to clear more on the trails. We finally got through with the first one! It looks great and will be easy to walk on. There are several big trees on either side of the trail. It connects the new pond to the trail around the fence line. We've got a little clearing to do on the fence line now. Tallow trees have grown up in the trail and a tree fell across the fence. I don't think it will be too hard to clear it. Here's a map of the property with the existing trails and proposed trails.

While we were down in the woods, two Hermit Thrushes were chasing each other. They seemed oblivious to our presence and came close several times. Yellow-rumped Warblers were everywhere. Eastern Phoebes and Northern Flickers called from the treetops. I am still waiting to see Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Maybe if I just went birding instead of being in the woods with a chainsaw. Hmmm . . .

No comments: