Monday, November 22, 2010

Project FeederWatch Week 2

The numbers of birds are still down at the feeders, but they seem to be picking up a little bit. I have my BirdCam set up on my ground feeder on the west side of the property. The habitat there is great for sparrows and towhees. I checked it today and had a male and female Northern Cardinal and one picture of a White-throated Sparrow (below).


I hope that I'll finally see a White-crowned Sparrow on the property. I'd also love to get some pictures of Dark-eyed Juncos and Eastern Towhees.

Project FeederWatch Week 2 (10 species):
Eurasian Collared Dove - 5
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1
Carolina Chickadee - 3
Tufted Titmouse - 2
Eastern Bluebird - 2
Pine Warbler - 1
Chipping Sparrow - 3
White-throated Sparrow - 1
Northern Cardinal - 2
House Sparrow - 20

I went into the woods this morning to mark the next trail I want to clear. It is hard to walk through there, but that makes it easier to see birds. Joshua and I marked the new trail and then walked to the trail we just finished clearing. As we were about to turn onto it, I heard a bird calling. I got closer and closer to it and finally a Brown Creeper climbed up a tree trunk. I have very rarely seen Brown Creepers on the property. A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker flew into a tree just behind the creeper. Hermit Thrushes were everywhere. There were more than I ever remember seeing. Yellow-rumped Warblers were in nearly every treetop. An Orange-crowned Warbler and two White-eyed Vireos flew around in some yaupon thickets. Except for fighting mosquitoes, it was a very fun day birding!

No comments: