Monday, November 16, 2009

Raptors! Raptors! Raptors!

Our second day of Project FeederWatch was a little more productive, but not much. We added Northern Cardinal and Eurasian Collared-Dove to our list. It was nice to see the cardinal out there because I haven't seen one regularly in weeks. Hopefully they'll start coming back a little more.

I did watch the rest of the birds around the house today and it was the day of the raptors! I saw six species of raptors flying around or over the house this afternoon. Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk and Merlin. The Merlin was perched on a utility pole. He stayed long enough to allow me to get my scope and get some good close-ups. The Sharp-shinned Hawk snagged a House Sparrow at the feeder this morning.

Overall, I saw fifteen species of birds today. It was fun even though I didn't get to get out and go birdwatching.

Birds Seen 11/16/09 (15 species): Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk. Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Merlin, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, House Sparrow

No comments: