Saturday, February 7, 2009

Little Time For Birding

Today was a pretty nice day around the property. I didn't get a lot of time to go birding, but I was out in the woods doing some clearing on the fence line. I saw a Red-tailed Hawk for the first time in a long time. Robins were everywhere. I heard Purple Martins today for the first time this year, although I never actually saw one. Yellow-rumped Warblers were abundant today. Nothing spectacular, but a good day overall.

While down at the pond, a Great Horned Owl called repeatedly. When I got home, I lit a fire in the chiminea at the house and a Barn Owl flew past several times, screeching to make his presence known. After four or five passes, he lit on the kids' clubhouse and sat there for a few minutes. It looked like he was watching my bird feeders for rodents coming to snack on the seed.

Birds Seen 2/7/09 (21 species): Turkey Vulture, Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Killdeer, Great Horned Owl, Barn Owl, Northern Flicker, American Crow, Purple Martin, Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Hermit Thrush, American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Brewer's Blackbird, American Goldfinch, House Sparrow

No comments: