Friday, February 6, 2009

Feeder Birds Today

This morning there were 25+ American Goldfinches on my oil sunflower feeders. A couple of cardinals showed up to snack on the safflower. Until all the Brewer's Blackbirds and Red-winged Blackbirds showed up. After they got their fill of millet, cracked corn and whatever else they could find, they left and the other birds returned. When the goldfinches came back, they were accompanied by a female House Finch. I haven't seen a House Finch at my feeders since May 22, 2007. I keep thinking they'll expand into this area, but so far I haven't seen any signs of that happening. I know lots of people don't like House Finches, but I really like them.

I haven't seen a Purple Martin yet, but they're coming back. If you haven't, check out the Purple Martin Conservation Association website and click on "Martins Are Back" to the right. When the map opens, you can see all the areas where martins have been reported. Also, you can click on the individual states to see who has reported martins and from which specific city. I think I'll get out and put my martin housing up and see if we have any takers this year. It's a beautiful day to do that!

No comments: