Friday, January 23, 2009

Eastern Bluebirds

This time of year is always a tough one for me. I know the joys that spring brings - migration, nesting birds, new life and growth. I also know that spring is followed by summer and all it brings - heat, humidity, hurricanes and mosquitoes. So, as winter begins to wind down, I always reluctantly look forward to spring. This morning, I had one of those times which makes me very excited about spring coming. A male and female Eastern Bluebird were showing courtship display and checking out the nest box about fifty feet from my bedroom window. For the past two years, we've had bluebirds nesting in a box in my aunt's yard, but I was never able to attract them to the box in my yard. I moved the box out of the line of sight of the box in my aunt's yard with the hopes that we would have two pairs of bluebirds nesting. So, with those two around my box, I'm looking forward to spring to see if that comes true.

Other than that, not a whole lot is going on around here. There are still lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers in the trees around. The Carolina Wren continues to come for my suet. All the "normal" birds - Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, Carolina Chickadees, Eurasian Collared Doves and American Goldfinches - continue at the feeders. I was out early this morning to hear the beginning of the chorus of territorial calling that starts as spring approaches. I enjoy listening to that every morning.

No comments: