Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008 in Review

I began 2008 with the personal challenge to beat my 2004 record of 129 species in a year on my property. I had made it a goal to spend Friday mornings birding, and then go as often as possible during spring migration. I kept to that as much as I could. During the summer it got difficult to do that with my schedule, and then after Hurricane Ike walking became very difficult in the woods because of all the trees and branches that are down. Here is 2008 in review:

Species seen: 142, which broke my 2004 record of 129

Highlights: Hearing Pine Warblers singing for the first time; have two successful broods of Eastern Bluebirds in my box; seeing the Bald Eagle fly over on May 4; having flocks of Sandhill Cranes fly over; seeing American Pipits on my lawn.

New Property Birds in 2008 (10 species!): Savannah Sparrow (1/1), Vesper Sparrow (2/1), Caspian Tern (2/8), Neotropic Cormorant (2/29), Blue-winged Teal (4/25), Monk Parakeet (5/29), White-crowned Sparrow (10/28), Sandhill Crane (11/17), American Pipit (12/17) and Green-winged Teal (12/22).

Warblers seen during spring migration (3/1 - 6/1): 22 species

Birds I missed in 2008: Canada Goose, Greater White-fronted Goose, Wood Thrush, Yellow Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Northern Waterthrush, Scarlet Tanager, Blue Grosbeak

My property list stands at 190. I will keep my eyes open for the other ten that I need to get to 200. It's great living on this property!

Spring migration will be here before I know it! Purple Martins will be here in a month or so. The average date I see Northern Parula is March 10. Hooded Warblers usually show up around the last week of March. I am really trying to keep my schedule open in April and May to be able to go birding as much as possible.

No comments: