Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike and Hummingbirds

With Hurricane Ike bearing down on us, I've taken down all my bird feeders. The birds still come checking for food. I've taken down all my hummingbird feeders except for two. I'll take those down tonight before the winds get too strong. The hummingbirds are swarming those feeders. There are probably 15 to 20 of them out there right now. It's fun to watch them. I wonder if they have any idea of what's about to hit them tonight and in the morning. I'll watch the winds and put the feeders back up as soon as I feel it is weak enough where it won't knock them off. After Hurricane Rita, the hummingbirds absolutely swarmed my feeders. But, Rita hit to the east of us giving us north winds, so it will be interesting to see how a hurricane hitting to the west of us bringing south winds affects them. Hopefully we'll be able to find out Saturday afternoon.

No comments: