Monday, September 1, 2008

Five Years

Today marks five years since we moved back to Cove. I was pretty excited to move back and be able to go birding on our property here. We moved down on Sept. 1, unpacked things and returned the U-Haul on Sept. 2 and then I finally went birding on Sept. 3. I saw my first property warbler that day - a male Canada Warbler still in full breeding plumage. I saw 22 birds that day. I was pretty excited and looked forward with great anticipation to the hummingbirds and spring migration. In the five years we've been here, I've seen 186 species of birds on the property. Here are some of the highlights over the past five years of birding on my property.

The Ruby-throated Hummingbirds swarm my feeders each fall. They literally look like bees around a hive at the feeders. I went through 55 lbs. of sugar in 2004 when I had 75 to 100 birds around my feeders every morning. I was filling my feeders everyday, including my 96 oz. Perky Pet feeder.

April 25, 2007 will always be special to me because I saw a male Black-throated Blue Warbler on the property mixed in with a multi-species warbler flock. That was one bird that I had always looked at in my books and wanted to see. I always assumed I'd have to go to the Atlantic flyway to see one. But, on that day, one perched in the top of a 25 ft. tallow tree and gave me some great looks at him.

The next day was very exciting to me as well. In the springs of 2004, 2005 and 2006, I didn't see any Kentucky Warblers. I couldn't figure it out because they nest here and we have great habitat for them to nest. Wondering what could top seeing the Black-throated Blue Warbler the day before, I went out birding. I was walking along the gully and saw some movement on the ground across the gully and there was a male Kentucky Warbler. As with most birds, I saw Kentucky Warblers everywhere after that! I learned their song and have heard them singing on territory in the past two springs.

When we moved in, I put up two Eastern Bluebird boxes with the hopes that a pair would pick one and nest in it. In 2006, a pair built a nest in one, but was usurped by a House Sparrow. They nested in one of my Purple Martin gourds. The day the chicks hatched a House Sparrow threw them out of the nest and took it over. My trap followed close behind and that House Sparrow is no longer with us. In 2007, there was another nesting attempt in the box in my aunt's yard and this time it was successful. They had one brood in 2007 and two in 2008. I am rewarded by seeing them fly into my yard to feed. The juveniles are all over the place!

Spring migration is a highlight each year. As of 2008, I have seen 30 species of warblers on the property. It's incredible to see the activity here. By comparison, I have seen only 20 species of warblers at High Island since we've been back. Granted, I spend a lot more time birding on my property.

The number of birds that I have verified that nest here is pretty impressive. Hooded Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Summer Tanager, Northern Parula, Painted Bunting, along with all the resident birds. It's great walking in the woods in late May and June and hear all of them singing on territory.

I'm looking forward to the next five years here. Hopefully I can get the other 14 species I need to get to that 200 number. It's going to be tough and probably require me to see some rarities, but I'll keep my eyes open.

No comments: