Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The hummingbird numbers took a dramatic turn yesterday. For a week or so, anywhere from 50 to 100 hummingbirds were around my feeders. Yesterday that number was down to about 20 or 25. This morning there were fewer than 20. It's always a little sad for me to see the hummingbirds go away. I love watching them at my feeders. Here's a video of what they looked like on the morning of Sept. 20. It's pretty low light because is was just before 7:00 am, shot through the glass on our back door and into the sun. But, it was a spectacular sight!




One of the first signs of cool weather showed up in my yard in the form of about 200 Common Grackles feeding in my yard. I was always told that when the grackles begin flocking, cooler weather is close behind. For those who still don't have power, I really hope that's true for them! I'm looking forward to cooler weather and the winter migrants coming into the area. There are several winter migrants that I need to add to my year list.

I had another White-winged Dove in my yard on Sunday. I'm seeing them more regularly now. I know from hearing from others about them that one day I'll wish they were all gone from my yard, but for now it's kind of cool to see a bird that isn't usually there.

I am still at 132 for the year on my property list. As of September 22, 2004, I was at 120. I will have a harder time birding on the property. It is next to impossible to walk in several areas in the woods because of Hurricane Ike. There are trees and limbs down everywhere. We don't have thick woods anymore. Maybe it will look different when the trees leaf out again and their foliage is full again. But from what I saw when I walked in the woods on Saturday, it is thinned out considerably. I have decided that I'm going to use the winter to cut a trail to all my favorite places on the property that way I can walk all the way around without ever having to leave the trees. Hopefully I can have it done before spring migration gets here.

No comments: