Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Purple Martins, Please!

I got out and cleaned out the starling nests that were built last year and will go by the store and get some wood shavings to put in my gourds. I just ordered a perch from Nature House and will install that when it comes in. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else I can do. This will be my fifth year to try and attract martins. I am hoping that the bluebirds that nested in my box last year is a good sign. I had given up on bluebirds ever nesting in our boxes and then suddenly there they were! Maybe I should just give up on martins ever nesting with me . . .

I've been watching the "scout" sightings on The Purple Martin Conservation Associate website. It's fun to watch them move north and see who sees them first in the different areas. I don't know as many people this year. Hopefully I'll be able to add my name onto their active colonly landlords this year!

No comments: