Friday, February 1, 2008

Feb. 1

This morning I walked for about three hours in the woods. I saw a brand new property bird right off the bat - a Vesper Sparrow! He makes property bird #183. I was pretty excited about seeing him. I got down into the woods and the other three new ones I saw were White-eyed Vireo, Brown Thrasher and Black Vulture. There were vultures flying all over today! I'm not sure why.

The cardinals, Carolina Wrens, White-eyed Vireos and Tufted Titmice were singing territorial and mate-attracting songs this morning. I noticed several times male cardinals chasing each other. Spring is coming, even if it doesn't seem very close! I was thinking that it will just be six weeks or so before the Northern Parulas are back singing in the Spanish moss laden trees. While I don't look forward to spring because it means summer is right around the corner, I love it for migration.

The pond is nearly full. I am amazed at how much it has filled just with run-off. It only lacks a couple of feet to being absolutely full. Shouldn't be long if we continue to the the kinds of rains like we've had lately.

Birds seen today (26 species): Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Red-shouldered Hawk, Great Horned Owl, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Downy Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, White-eyed Vireo, Blue-headed Vireo, Blue Jay, American Crow, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Hermit Thrush, American Robin, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Vesper Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, American Goldfinch

'08 Property List as of Feb. 1: 43

No comments: