Friday, February 8, 2008

Pretty Good Day on Feb. 8

This morning was very busy down in the woods. It was a very nice morning to walk. Temps started out about 50 degrees and slowly warmed. I got down into the woods and heard a warbler-like song. I knew I should have recognized it but for some reason it wasn't making sense to me. Finally, I found the bird making the call and realized why I should have recognized it. It was a Pine Warbler singing his little heart out. I have never heard Pine Warblers singing in the woods here. I hope that means they'll be nesting here. I have seldom seen more than two Pine Warblers in an entire year and I tripled that total today! They were singing everywhere. I certainly got excited for spring to get here! The cardinals are singing and chasing each other. White-eyed Vireos were singing their fast-paced songs. Tufted Titmice, Carolina Wrens and even Hermit Thrushes were singing today.

Another interesting observation happened when I was walking along the eastern fenceline. A large bird flew out of one of the trees in front of me. I got my binoculars on it and it was a Red-shouldered Hawk carrying a squirrel. That was pretty neat to see.

I finally heard my first Barred Owl of the year. They have been very, very quiet lately. Other birds that were firsts for 2008 include: Caspian Tern, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Belted Kingfisher, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and Common Grackle.

I don't see Caspian Terns very often, but occasionally they fly over. I was out playing baseball with the boys and one flew over from west to east. The dark primaries on the wings were plain as he was only 40 ft. in the air.

On my way out, I got to the fence and three coyotes were moving from east to west across the pasture. They got to the trees on the western side of the pasture and went south. I lost sight of them when they got to the road the drilling company made.

Birds seen today (39 species): Caspian Tern, Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Eurasian-collared Dove, Mourning Dove, Barred Owl, Belted Kingfisher, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, White-eyed Vireo, Blue-headed Vireo, Blue Jay, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Eastern Bluebird, Hermit Thrush, American Robin, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, European Starling, Cedar Waxwing, Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pine Warbler, White-throated Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Brewer's Blackbird, Common Grackle, American Goldfinch

'08 Property List as of Feb. 8: 52
'04 Property List as of Feb. 8: 49

No comments: