Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring!

Leaves are coming in on the trees. Warmer temperatures are here. My yard needs to be mowed. Birds are singing. All signs that spring is here! I have been walking in the woods as often as possible. On March 7 I saw the first Northern Parula of the season. They are typically the first of the wood warblers to migrate into the area. They nest in a tree right on the property line. It has a lot of Spanish moss. They build their nests in the tufts of moss. I have seen Purple Martins, Northern Rough-winged Swallows and Tree Swallows so far. Hooded Warblers, Black-and-white Warblers, Yellow-throated Warblers and Louisiana Waterthrushes should be showing up anytime now. A pair of Eastern Bluebirds has taken up residence in the nest box in our yard. Their nest was completed on Monday. I keep checking for an egg, but none so far. I've got my sparrow spooker ready to put on as soon as I see an egg in the nest. The Purple Martins that nested in my gourds last year haven't returned yet. I'm anxious for them to be back! I'm going to take the cover off my chimney this year and allow Chimney Swifts to nest in it. As new houses are constructed, metal flues instead of clay have been used leading to a loss of "habitat" for Chimney Swifts and their population has dwindled. So, I'm going to do my part to help out. I wish I could build a Chimney Swift tower, but it is cost-prohibitive.

I have checked my BirdCam at the feeders in the woods regularly, but only have Red-winged Blackbirds, Northern Cardinals, Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmice and Carolina Wrens. Indigo Buntings should start showing up next week and Painted Buntings should show up a week after that. They really show up in good numbers the second week of April along with Blue Grosbeaks and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. I should get all of them at my feeders. I've been researching what I can feed to attract orioles and tanagers. I've read sunflower hearts for tanagers and suet or fruit for orioles. I'll have all that down there to see what shows up. I hope that some of the warblers find the Bark Butter and get their picture taken by the BirdCam.

I watched a couple of Red-shouldered Hawks flying around along the gully and found their nest. I hope I can get close enough with my camera to get some shots when they're feeding the chicks. That will be fun!

Several winter birds are still around. When I was walking yesterday, I saw Hermit Thrush, Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglets and American Goldfinches. It's a fun time of year to go birding!

Birds Seen 3/15 & 3/17 (38 species):
Great Egret, Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Red-shouldered Hawk, Mourning Dove, Barred Owl, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Downy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, White-eyed Vireo, Blue Jay, Purple Martin, Tree Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Eastern Bluebird, Hermit Thrush, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Orange-crowned Warbler, Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Chipping Sparrow, Song Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle, Great-tailed Grackle, American Goldfinch, House Sparrow

No comments: