Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Quick Walk at the End of March

I took a quick walk in the woods on Monday. I didn't have a lot of time to spend birding. Fortunately it's still early in the spring, so I'm not missing a whole lot yet! The Barred Owl was in the same place he always is along the trail. It is fun to see him when I go down there. There are still quite a few winter residents around - Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Yellow-rumped Warbler, House Wren, American Goldfinch and White-throated Sparrow. The White-throated Sparrows are eating something in the trees. I regularly see them several feet up in the trees. As far as the spring migrants, I saw several Chimney Swifts flying over. I need to get on the roof and take the cover off my chimney. Purple Martins and Barn Swallows flew overhead feeding on flying insects. In the woods there were several Northern Parulas. I saw three at a time just west of the new pond. I heard a Hooded Warbler singing and finally found him in some of the thick understory. The warbler numbers should begin increasing significantly over the next couple of weeks. Indigo Buntings have begun to come into the area, so I should start seeing them at the feeders in the woods soon.

We have Eastern Bluebirds nesting again. The pair that had nested in my aunt's box were killed by a House Sparrow a month ago. Another pair has five eggs in the box in my yard now. I killed a wasp out of the box at Mom's, so I need to go over and check to see if that box is being utilized.

Birds Seen 3/28/11 (24 species):
Turkey Vulture, Mourning Dove, Barred Owl, Chimney Swift, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, White-eyed Vireo, Blue Jay, Purple Martin, Barn Swallow, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carlina Wren, House Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Bluebird, Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Hooded Warbler, White-throated Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, American Goldfinch, House Sparrow

No comments: