Friday, December 12, 2008

More Sandhill Cranes

Sandhill Cranes flew over the property again today. I heard a total of three flocks. One flock was so high that I couldn't see them. The other two were in range and had 20 to 25 birds in each flock. I wonder if the dry summer is making the cranes go further east than they have in the past. Something is different since I have never seen Sandhill Cranes from the property before this year.

I went down to the pond yesterday morning in the snow and flushed a couple of Wood Ducks. I've been trying to get some cattails to grow around the edge, but the cows keep eating them. I am sure there are ducks down there more often than I see them, but I just don't see them very often. I'm going to build a nest box for the Wood Ducks and have them up this winter. Hopefully they'll use them and I'll see them around a little more.

I've got several American Goldfinches at my feeders. I didn't put any thistle out this year, but they're coming to my oil sunflower in good numbers. It's fun to see them and hear them call to each other.

No comments: