Friday, December 21, 2007

My Own Big Year

I am going to use 2008 to challenge myself to have my own big year. I won't travel around the state or nation to see as many birds as I can. I lack the time and funds it would take for that endeavor. No, what I'm going to do is spend as much time birding on my property as I can and try to break my record of species seen in 2004 - 129. I plan on taking Friday mornings and going birding as often as possible and maybe even take some Saturdays. Of course in the spring, I'll be out there as often as possible for the migration. But that's my challenge to myself for 2008. I would like to end the year with 150 species. I have 181 on my current property list, so I'll have to see most of them and possibly add a few more. I'll update my blog as often as I go birding and keep you updated on the status. I know it's not terribly exciting and there won't be any kind of reward, but I think it will be a neat thing for me. I need to take a little more time for myself anyway to reduce stress. I will have to miss the first Friday in 2008 because I'll be in Atlanta at the National Conferences on Youth Ministries (NCYM). So, I guess my first official birding day on the property will be January 11. I can't wait!

Other news from the property:
The goldfinches have shown up in pretty good numbers. I've got to get some more nyjer for them. I've had as many as 11 birds on my feeders. I am only putting out three feeders this year instead of the 8 that I have. It's just too expensive!

Last night about 11:30, my dogs went absolutely crazy barking and woke me up. I was treated t the sound of several coyotes barking and howling. It sounds like they have some little ones around as well. We see them occasionally, but that's the first time I've heard a big group of them like that in a long time.

No comments: