Friday, March 16, 2007

Wet! Wet! Wet!

After nearly 4 inches of rain since Monday, I put on my rubber boots and went out into the woods this morning. As I was walking toward the woods, two Barn Swallows made their first appearance on my list this spring. I made my way to one of the trees where the Northern Parulas nested in the past. As I walked through the standing water, mosquitoes were flying low over the surface. I sure hope it dries before the eggs have a chance to hatch! I got to the tree and stood around for quite a while listening for the Northern Parula to call. I finally decided that there wasn't one around and began to walk off. I had taken no more than five steps when I heard that rising buzz! I was not able to visually locate him, though. I walked on and came to the second tree where the Northern Parulas usually are. I heard a warbler-like call that I wasn't completely familiar with. I finally found the caller - another Northern Parula! As I was walking out of the woods, I heard another warbler-like call, which ended up being another Northern Parula. While I was searching for that parula, a male Hooded Warbler popped up in front of me! After I lost visual contact with the Hooded Warbler, a Gray Catbird began hopping around in the tangle of tri-foliate orange trees. He is probably a winter resident here rather than a spring migrant. Spring is definitely coming!

Winter birds still rule the day. Along with all the regulars, I had a pair of Field Sparrows along the fence in the backyard. An Orange-crowned Warbler was quite active around my favorite yaupon holly thicket. His feathers around his face must still be coming in because his head was bald! There were literally hundreds of Yellow-rumped Warblers on a feeding frenzy. They were flitting through the tops of the trees very quickly. I looked at as many as I could hoping to see something different. I suppose they are getting ready for their northward migration.

I added a new bird to my property list this morning! A Caspian Tern flew over and will forever be property bird #172. I tallied 31 species this morning in a couple of hours of birding.

FOS Species: Barn Swallow, Northern Parula, Hooded Warbler, Gray Catbird

Other wildlife seen:

Reptiles: Common Garter Snake

Mammals: Gray Squirrel

Butterflies: Buckeye

No comments: