Sunday, March 11, 2007

An Abundance of Brown Thrashers

Today was the day for the brown thrashers! If I didn't see them, they saw me and sounded their sharp alarm call from deep in cover of tri-foliate orange thickets or yaupon holly bushes. I saw and/or heard at least six in the hour I walked around in the woods today. There is nothing new to report with the spring migrants. I looked at dozens of yellow-rumped warblers hoping they'd be something different. I keep going to the two trees laden with Spanish moss where the northern parula nests each year and listen for him singing. Nothing yet. He'll be here this week announcing to possible rivals that he's claimed this territory.

Other wildlife seen today:
Butterflies - giant swallowtail, eastern tiger swallowtail, falcate orangetip, cloudless sulpher, gulf fritillary, question mark and red admiral
Reptiles - chicken turtle, five-lined skink

No comments: