Monday, June 13, 2011

More Summer Property News

The old pond continues to lose water. From Saturday evening to Sunday evening, the level went down about 3". There is still life at the old pond, though. A Yellow-crowned Night-heron is nesting alongside a Green Heron. A Little Blue Heron comes to feed at the edge of the water. I heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo down there this morning. I found six baby alligators about 12" long on Saturday evening, but they weren't there on Sunday. A female hummingbird was gathering nesting material from a willow tree this morning. I couldn't see where she went when she flew off.

Little Blue Heron hunting at the old pond

My birdbath in the woods developed a larger crack than it had before, so I brought it to the house to fix it. When I pulled it off the four-wheeler, it had broken into two pieces. I'll have to replace it with a plastic one soon!

I still hear Red-eyed Vireos singing in the woods regularly when I go down there. Hopefully I'll get a new birdbath and be able to see some of the juvenile birds that come to it.

No comments: