Monday, January 3, 2011

2010 Year-end Review

2010 was a good year for property birding. I ended up with 140 species (2nd best total on the property), four new species and 24 species of warblers (19 spring migrants). The new birds I added to my property list in 2010 were Prothonotary Warbler (4/5), Hairy Woodpecker (6/21), Fulvous Whistling-Duck (7/31) and Fox Sparrow (12/6). Those four new species give me a total of 197 species on the property.

Besides the four new birds, there were several highlights in 2010. Regularly seeing an American Woodcock in the woods is thrilling. I saw a Brown Creeper in the woods for only the second time in seven years. Nine American Pipits have taken up residence in the clearing by the new pond. A Dickcissel visited my feeders in my backyard several times this spring. Eastern Bluebirds nested again and fledged ten young in two broods. Even though they were very late coming in, Purple Martins nested and fledged three young (they lost two eggs to a House Sparrow). A Killdeer nested and fledged four young. A Ruby-crowned Kinglet began visiting my suet feeders in my backyard. Five Pine Warblers regularly visited my feeders in the winter months. A Downy Woodpecker found my suet feeder for the first time in 2010. Blue Jays and American Crows have made a nice recovery from West Nile Virus. Their numbers are up quite a bit. A Barred Owl pair nested in the box I put up for them.

The numbers of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were down this year. It seems they migrated further west this fall. Several people in west Harris County reported more hummingbirds than usual at their feeders. So far I haven't seen any ducks on the new pond, which is surprising to me. It is surrounded by cattails and has several small fish in it now. Maybe I need to plant some things they like eating.

2010 was a good year for birding on the property. 2011 has begun well. I'm hoping to break the 2008 record of 142 species this year. I am also going to work hard on adding the last three I need to get to 200 species. Getting some ducks on the pond would help with that!

No comments: