Monday, January 4, 2010


The birds were active today at the feeders. Maybe they know that we're going to get some cold weather at the end of the week and they're trying to fatten up some. I had more Pine Warblers at the feeders than I've seen. Until today, two were all I saw at a time. Today I had four. The American Goldfinches continue to increase in numbers at the feeders. I counted 53 today either on the feeders, on the ground beneath the feeders and in the tree above the feeders. A Sharp-shinned Hawk came in for a while and frightened all the birds away. I got a couple of shots of him through the fence while he was sitting on the brush pile.

The birds were interesting away from the feeders too. A pair of Red-shouldered Hawks flew around quite a bit and called to each other. A large flock of American Pipits flew in and landed in the pasture. They walked around foraging for quite a while. Eastern Bluebirds and Yellow-rumped Warblers flew around and came to my bird bath.

Birds seen 1/4/10 (16 species): Sharp-shinned Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-bellied Woodpecker, American Crow, Eastern Bluebird, American Robin, American Pipit, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pine Warbler, Chipping Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Brewer's Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird, American Goldfinch, House Sparrow

No comments: