Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hummingbird Numbers Down & Butterfly Garden

The numbers of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at my feeders is way down this year. We haven't really had a cool front push through to help bring them down, so maybe that's it. Maybe it's the lack of flowers because of the drought, and they're just passing on through without stopping long at the feeders. Yesterday and this morning I have noticed more birds around the feeders, probably ten to twelve. Normally by now, I've got 50+. Here's what I had last year on September 20.




Yesterday, the kids and I worked on making a butterfly garden. I got some blue mist flower and some lantana from the Texas Wildseed Farms in Fredericksburg when we were there over the Labor Day weekend. I also planted some lantana that I rooted in it as well. With plants and all, the whole thing cost about $50. I'm really looking forward to seeing what butterflies we get when the plants are fully blooming! Here is a picture of our new garden and a picture of a male Queen butterfly I took on some of the blue mist flowers at the Texas Wildseed Farms.


No comments: