Saturday, August 29, 2009

First Hummingbird of the Season

This last week I finally saw my first hummingbird on my feeders. I took the day off on Monday and looked out at the feeders when I got up and there was a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird sitting on the feeder I had up. I put another feeder up with the hopes of attracting more hummers to them. So far I've seen up to three at a time with the male still standing guard over the two that are there. They seem to be a little late coming in this year. I wonder if the drought has anything to do with it.

I would like to get out and see what kind of fall migrants are coming through, but the mosquitoes are really bad right now, and it's still pretty hot. I may wait for a cool front to push through before I try getting out and doing much birding on the property.

No comments: