Friday, April 17, 2009

Record-breaking Day!

Today was an excellent day for birding on the property! Until today, April 25, 2007 was the day where I had seen the highest number of species which was 55. Today, so far, I have seen 56 and the possibility of seeing others is there because there are a few pretty common birds I haven't seen today.

On my way to the woods, a crow flew over and called, instantly identifying itself as a Fish Crow. I haven't seen one in quite a while. Barn, Cliff and Northern Rough-winged Swallows flew overhead. A lone White-winged Dove flew over as well.

The woods were absolutely full of migrants today! I ended up adding thirteen FOS birds to the year list. I also added Warbling Vireo to the property list. I got some great looks at him! I had hardly gotten into the woods when I stopped to observe some movement in a tree to my right. Two Blue-winged Warblers were flitting around looking for a meal. An American Redstart was just above them in the tree. They moved on, but I could hear a lot of activity coming from around some thick stuff, so I started moving that way. A Kentucky Warbler flew in front of me and lit on a dead branch about three feet off the ground giving me several seconds of really good looks at him. A Worm-eating Warbler flew across low to some dead branches left after Hurricane Ike. I got to where all the birds were and it was almost impossible to look at just one. Yellow-throated Vireos, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, an Acadian Flycatcher were the most active. A male Hooded Warbler lit on an exposed branch about 15 ft. from me and sang. I spotted some movement in a little tree to my right and looked through my binoculars to see a beautiful male Cerulean Warbler. The Warbling Vireo flew in just above him. A Chestnut-sided Warbler hopped out behind the Cerulean. At one point, I had the Cerulean, Chestnut-sided and Warbling Vireo in one binocular view! I moved out a little bit an a Tennessee Warbler was in the top of an oak tree. I saw a larger bird fly into one of the trees. I found him in my binoculars and it was a Black-billed Cuckoo! That is only the second one I've ever seen on the property. To top it off, a Summer Tanager came flying in and began singing.

I moved on from that spot after the bird activity had quieted down. I came upon a spot where an Indigo Bunting was singing from the top of a small tree. I watched him sing for a couple of minutes. I found several other males and females in the branches of the tree that was laying on the ground. To my left, a Blue Grosbeak popped up out of the thick branches. I checked the radar on my phone and saw that the rain was making steady progress toward me, so I decided to move on.

There is a spot to the east of the new pond that has been pretty good for warblers in the past. I slowed down quite a bit there and I wasn't disappointed! A Yellow Warbler was hopping around in the branches looking for some food. Black-and-white Warblers clung to the tree trunks and branches. A male Blackburnian Warbler showed off his fiery throat for a few seconds. Black-throated Green Warblers joined the show. A male Scarlet Tanager flew in and showed off his brilliant red plumage. Red-eyed Vireos were busily looking for food, while one sang from a perch I could not find. I heard to my right the song of an Eastern Wood-Pewee and found him sitting atop a dead tree. I checked the radar on my phone again (which I found out when I got home was not showing the correct images!) and decided to call it a morning and go in. The mosquitoes almost carried me off when I got to the pond.

I loaded up our van with our trash and took it off. On the road to the dump, several Black Vultures were eating something and a Crested Caracara tried to get some of it too.

The Eastern Bluebirds have laid five eggs in their nest. The projected hatching date is Saturday, April 25. The Purple Martins are still hanging around the house and gourds. I haven't seen any nest building activity, but they are around a little more each day. They will probably start building anytime now.

Bird species seen 4/17/09 (56 species): Cattle Egret, Turkey Vulture, Red-shouldered Hawk, Killdeer, Eurasian Collared-Dove, White-winged Dove, Mourning Dove, Black-billed Cuckoo (FOS), Barred Owl, Chimney Swift, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Eastern Wood-Pewee (FOS), Acadian Flycatcher (FOS), Great Crested Flycatcher, White-eyed Vireo, Yellow-throated Vireo, Warbling Vireo (FOS), Red-eyed Vireo, Blue Jay, Fish Crow, Purple Martin, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Cliff Swallow, Barn Swallow, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Eastern Bluebird, Hermit Thrush, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Blue-winged Warbler (FOS), Tennessee Warbler (FOS), Northern Parula, Yellow Warbler (FOS), Chestnut-sided Warbler (FOS), Black-throated Green Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler (FOS), Cerulean Warbler (FOS), Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart (FOS), Worm-eating Warbler (FOS), Kentucky Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Summer Tanager, Scarlet Tanager (FOS), Northern Cardinal, Blue Grosbeak (FOS), Indigo Bunting, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle, Orchard Oriole, House Sparrow

No comments: