Saturday, March 21, 2009

More Spring Migrants Showing Up

This morning I went birding on the property and had a few more FOS birds show up. Northern Rough-winged Swallows, Tree Swallows and Barn Swallows flew overhead. A Hooded Warbler called several times. The highlight of my day were the two Swallow-tailed Kites that were circling with a couple of Black Vultures. I was able to watch them for a quite a while. There are still lots of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warblers around. I even heard a few White-throated Sparrows. Cardinals are singing everywhere. White-eyed Vireos sound their calls from the dense blackberry vine tangles.

I put up the Barred Owl box I built over a year ago. I'm not sure why I waited until now to put it up. It's too late for them to use it this year, but maybe next year. I still have no Purple Martins in my house or gourds. The Eastern Bluebirds haven't started building their nest yet. I hope they get started soon.

Yesterday as I was working on my four-wheeler, I could hear a couple of American Goldfinches calling from the hackberry tree in my backyard. I finally found them and the male was nearly in complete breeding plumage. It's been a long time since I've seen a male goldfinch in breeding plumage. That was fun.

Bird Species Seen 3/21/09 (32 species): Little Blue Heron, Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Swallow-tailed Kite (FOS), Red-shouldered Hawk, Killdeer, Eurasian Collared-Dove, White-winged Dove, Mourning Dove, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, White-eyed Vireo, Blue Jay, Purple Martin, Tree Swallow (FOS), Northern Rough-winged Swallow (FOS), Barn Swallow (FOS), Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Bluebird, Hermit Thrush, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Hooded Warbler, White-throated Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Brewer's Blackbird

No comments: