Friday, May 30, 2008

New Property Bird

Yesterday I was outside working on a frame for a movie screen to take to camp. My aunt came over and began to describe a couple of birds that she saw while on her walk that morning. The only thing that came to my mind was Monk Parakeets. While we were talking about it, two Monk Parakeets flew along the road heading west, making property bird #186. I suspect we'll see a lot more of them in the days and years to come. They can join the House Sparrows, European Starlings and Eurasian Collared Doves as birds that aren't supposed to be on our property. Sigh. When will people ever learn that it's not a good idea to mess with nature?

Other than that, the baby bluebirds from brood #1 are doing well. They hang out in our yard quite a bit. They are learning to hunt pretty well. I watch them catch insects by themselves. I don't see them around the male that much anymore, so they're getting more independent all the time. A Roseate Spoonbill flew over yesterday. He was the first of his species that I've seen from the property this year.

I'm slowly getting to my goal of seeing more than the 129 species I saw in 2004. It's summertime now and that typically means slow birding days ahead of me. But, fall migration will be here before I know it.

'08 Birds as of May 29: 126
'04 Birds as of May 29: 105

No comments: