Saturday, July 21, 2007

Summertime Hummingbird and Rain!

For the second year in a row, I've had a Ruby-throated Hummingbird at my feeder for the majority of the summer. It's a female, as was the bird last year. She's here often enough that I don't think she's nesting anywhere because she would have to leave her eggs way too long and too often. But, it's been kind of neat to have her the past couple of years while I wait for the large groups in late August and September. Here's a video I shot last September of the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at my feeders.



You know it's rained a lot when you look out on your front yard and see 15 - 20 White Ibis poking around looking for something to eat. That's what happened yesterday while the rain was falling. Since July 1, we've had 9.5" of rain at our house. I love that because of the lower temperatures, but hate it because I know what it means for mosquito numbers.

No comments: